Monday, January 7, 2013

Swap Projects Completed!

Here are a few more projects I completed for recent swaps!

 Here is a lovely cowl I knitted.  It's the first one I attempted, and after an unfortunate coffee explosion it needed a good wash, but otherwise, it turned out beautifully! 

I really love that double column leaf pattern.  I've done it a couple times before on different things, and it's always turned out very nicely, despite some minor complications.  Once you get it though, you get it.  I remember the first thing I did with any sort of lace work like this, and I was so frustrated with the whole project, I considered giving it up and scrapping it.  Thankfully, I didn't, and now this is one of my go-to lace patterns for something pretty.  I love nature themes, and this totally fits the bill.

Up next, we have what I called the Tyrell Mitts! 

I love how the lighting picked up on all the brown tones in the yarn, which I really loved.  It's a yellowy yarn, which, normally I'm not a fan of, but the green and browns with it make it really very nice.  These were a pain at first, mostly that weird hemmed cuff, but after I figured out where they were going, it made sense, and the mitts turned out really nicely.  There were a few missed stitches here and there, but they've kind of got that leafy look to them as well, so it doesn't actually make it look too off, since I think they're on the "back" of the mitts anyway.  (Facing inward while wearing.) 

Here, we have my favorite projects from the swap, because jewelry is always my favorite thing to make. :)


My first attempt with these was with some cheap shrink plastic alternative, but, needless to say, it didn't work out.  I did go with the trusty polymer clay, as I should always do.  I really need to work on my sculpting skills, and gain a little more faith in the skills I already possess.  These turned out beautifully.  The purple ones, or my "House Dayne" ones are polymer clay rectangles cut out and hole punched, painted, and I placed a little paper star I cut out and painted (I have a terrible hand at tiny painting even basic shapes) and coated with a nice layer of Dimensional Magic.  The second ones, "House Tyrell" are basically the same, I cut squares and shaped them, then added a paper cut out of the Tyrell sigil which I glued on and let dry.  Then a little paint to make spiffy, and a nice coat of Dimensional Magic to seal the deal.  Add a few findings, a couple beads, and golden.  :)  I really LOVE how they turned out.  I'm honestly very impressed with myself.  I wish I got more "In the process" pictures, but, my camera skills and apparatus were terribly wonky at that point.  Now that I sadly have a better quality camera in a cheap phone, I'll be using that, since I absolutely love my phone and it's awesome technology and snazzy apps and junk.  Dude, I Instagram.  WHAT??? I KNOW.

Anyway, I do plan on updating more frequently as I plan on doing more and more crafts.  I've been unfortunately slacking on my monster knitting.  I've lost my knitting motivation lately.  Not sure if it's just my hatred of this awful yarn or I'm just tired of knitting circles on my trusty US size 6 needles... Or maybe it's my complete and utter disappointment in the entire community of big box stores that can't figure out how to carry a multi-pack of felt for a reasonable price.  I really only want like, 5-10 sheets of assorted colors for like $10.  Not fifty sheets for $30 :X  I'm not going to use that much EVER!!  I may just break down and buy it, though, if I can't find what I'm looking for.  Felt is definitely a medium I could use to practice sewing with, and I could make fun things out of it.... Tis a thought. 

More later, because sewing is a new thing now!  I'm trying to make at least two projects a week for the time being, and I'm doing alright thus far!  I made one yesterday!  I think I'm going to structure this blog a bit more, too, but not entirely.  Maybe make a point to do at least ONE post a week, by a certain day, and update on my projects for the week, along with the bigger ones, instead of just willy-nilly.  Life needs structure, and I'm willing to give it a go.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment