Friday, January 4, 2013

Sewing Success!

So,  if you know anything about me, it's that I like to do some crafty shit.  What you may not know is that I'm not particularly skilled in it, despite how much of it I do.. .Haha.  Specifically, sewing.  I'm an awful seamstress.  I'm working on getting better, though!  So, in my boredom yesterday morning, I was parusing through Instructables (best site EVAR) and was looking at all kinds of random things until I came across a whole bunch of sewing tutorials.  I pinned a few, and today, out of boredom and necessity I decided to enact my New Year's Resolution!!  I picked an item off one of the boards and made it!  I'm still trying to figure out how to log them, maybe I can move them from one board to another and make another board of projects I've completed... either way, I'll figure it out.  But here goes! 

 I used some fabric that turned out to be too thick for bows and a zipper I found in some plastic I bought from the thrift store at some point or other.  I should go back there.  I had like, probably five or six choices in zippers, but went with the second longest one for durability.  Here's the Instructable I used.  And here's my result!!  Not too shabby, right?? :D

There are only a few things I was unsure about.  I looked up a few different ways to put in the zipper, as the tutorial wasn't really clear on how to do it exactly, for one who's never done it before.  I figured it out pretty easily, though, went with the exposed zipper look for ease and preference.  I like to see that it's closed, I guess, haha.  And the rest of it was pretty easy.  I had a few problems with the machine itself, as it was unfortunately having some issues for whatever reason with the thread I was using.  I think it was thicker than I normally use, or it was losing stuff inside the machine, because it kept getting stuck, especially on the back stitch.  There's really only one or two spots where it's a little funky, but otherwise, I'm really quite happy with it.  I want to practice a little more with sewing before I start doing anything bigger, but considering I can probably make tons of these little bags for not more than two bucks, I don't see why not!  :)  I still have a bit of extra fabric and a tiny zipper left for another matching pouch to go with this one.  I might attempt that one tomorrow :) 

My blogging will become more frequent and more imaginative in the coming months, I promise!  :D  I'm starting to find my crafting to be more lucrative than I originally thought, and I'm really excited to get to work on this blanket I told you about already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment