Monday, June 24, 2013

Keeping Busy!

Woops, it's been awhile!  Sorry bout that, kiddos.  I've been kinda busy with things here lately, and haven't had much crafty going on because I've been working on the same project for quite some time.  But, now that I've made some significant progress, and have come up with a couple new projects, I'm ready to share!!

Here's the progress on the Bat Shawl I've been working on for over a month, maybe two now?  I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted... I was really hoping it'd be closer to done now, but, I'm doing really well the last two weeks.  I got 14 rows done last night, which took like almost 2.5 hours!! I am going for another serious knit session tonight pending some social events.  Either way, I'm hoping to have the bulk of the shawl done by the weekend and then doing the edging over the weekend in one or two sessions and then washing/blocking and plenty of photo taking and then feeling quite accomplished and then never knitting a shawl again hahaha.

It's laying out really nicely, and you can see the bat motif pretty clearly, so I don't think too much blocking will be necessary, but I feel like the edging will be far more complicated.

Another project I've completed as of last night, a sort of "in between" project to break up the monotony of me repeating "knit three, yarn over, knit two together, knit.... crap, I missed one FUUUUUU," or just purling like 200 stitches while watching tv, I made another piece to my super hero swap package I'm nothing but super excited about ooh my goshhhh.  Are you ready?  .....




Wolverine clock!!!!  So that was a tutorial I kinda just fell across and was like, I MUST MAKE THIS.  Here's the linky.  Gosh, it turned out sooo welll.  I didn't use the cork in the original tutorial, but I used a pre-cut wooden face I found at A.C. Moore for like $4.  There were some smaller ones with the hole already drilled in it, but I wanted the biiig one to get all the comic book goodness on there.  A few coats of tacky glue, some finicky comic book pages, glitter sealer, a date with my Dremel and several coats of paint sealer later, this beauty came about and man, I am just so happy.  The clock parts were like $7 and I had a coupon, so the total project cost me under ten bucks with the inclusion of purchasing the comics.  I was thinking I could use some of the National Geographic magazines I've been hoarding for the past couple of years to make a sweet as dino one or something for myself, and maybe look into making a couple more.  I'd make a few changes... I'd cut the comic pages down a little more to create a thick black line simulating a panel around all the edges and to prevent some peeling.  I gave it plenty of coats of an exterior paint sealer, so I can't imagine it'll come up, but it'd definitely be a cleaner application and risk less butchering of the comic page when I'm doing finishing with the Dremel.  I ended up having to repair the two bottom panels with some savvy pencil and sharpie work, but thankfully I got skills like that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment