Friday, May 24, 2013

Questionable Crafting Series, Excuses, and More!

Woops.  It's been awhile, sorry!!  But, I'm back, and really happy about it.  My schedule at work has been hella wonky, and it's gotten HOT outside!  Today is pretty decent, though!  It's windy now, but my lovely bike ride home was nice and sunny and breezy and nearly perfect.

Anyway, yesterday's random craft project prompted a pretty awesome idea that I think I'm going to go with because why not? Hahah.  I try to work on a "big craft project" every week/month and on a mostly weekly basis, I try to complete one or two small projects that only take a couple hours at most.  Yesterday I had one that was quite.... well, questionable, as it were.  :)  So that prompted the idea about other random crafts I've done and how I don't necessarily display/talk about them as much as I do my other projects, but I thought it'd be kinda fun.  So, here goes!

Questionable Crafting
First Installment

My roommate is a drag queen.  It's a "questionable" lifestyle to some (and honestly, me included, but, not for reasons you may think) but it makes him happy, so I'm in support.  There's a big craft element to what he does... he has to take an idea for a concept and make it into a "look," complete with hair, make up, jewelry, clothing and accessories.  Some of them are over the top.  Actually, most of them are, but hey, that's what makes it fun.  So basically he comes up with a concept, sets it to music, makes a costume, gets into a persona and parades around a stage lip synching to a pop song and collecting dollar bills from strangers in a night club.  So... growing up how I did, I'm very unfamiliar with this concept, but, living in the city has definitely brought a lot of things about that culture to light for me, and it's been an interesting experience to say the least.  Last night, a more well known drag queen, dubbing herself, Alaska Thunderfuck was making an appearance/doing a show at a local night club here in town, and of course my roommate got himself tickets.  I did not attend this event but I have been to similar events with him, but I did decide to do a little project for him to take with him, and give to her, mostly because it turned out really funny.

The drag queens do their own make up, make their own costumes, choreograph their own routines, purchase all the materials to put on their show, and most times, especially for amateurs, the clubs don't pay them.  They depend on and appreciate the tips given to them from the crowd (think strippers, only a little different...) Mostly given out are single dollar bills, sometimes larger amounts.  I've always wondered how a stripper or someone who works in the same sort of scenario reacts when given a dollar coin, such as the Sacajawea dollar coin?  I know as a server, they're mildly annoying, but easy to cash in... I can imagine they're hard to hold if you're parading around in stilettos and a wig, though... But, nevertheless, I felt that Sacajawea could use a bit of a makeover, and with nothing more than a couple sharpies, some old nail polish and a right liberal dash of glitter, we get the fully "dragged out" coin perfect for a gift, right?  Here's a photo, sorry it's a little meh... It's the only one I could really get of it, but, it says "TRASHY BITCH" over Sacajawea's terrible makeup and baby carrier, and on the back, it's colored in all pink and says "THUNDER FUCK" in black with a streaky looking finish and coated in glitter polish and then coated again in a clear varnish for some durability.  My roommate gifted it to her during a meet-and-greet after the show, and we're hoping for a twitpic of it or something of some appreciation of it :)






No comments:

Post a Comment